Tuesday, November 30, 2010

1950's Free Agency

While this site is a Milwaukee Braves site, it is also a Milwaukee baseball site. At times I can't help comparing the team of today or the game versus the days of the Braves. Today's headlines are dominated by what to do with Prince Fielder. Fileder along with Ryan Braun are the cornerstone sluggers of the team. It appears Fileder's time in Milwaukee is short. Modern day economics will probably force Fielder out of town.

Instead of Fielder and Braun, what if it was Aaron and Matthews? What would our beloved Braves have been if Aaron had a super agent that demanded his way out of Milwaukee? So many memories would be different. It's really a shame fans have to suffer as their teams are torn apart. Is a town like Milwaukee doomed to be a AAA Yankees affiliate?

I'm afraid Milwaukee can never see a run like the Braves had again. The current state of MLB won't allow it.

Tell me what you think.

1 comment:

  1. I certainly can understand your sentiments...and I suppose that is why - like you - I have such an affinity towards the old Milwaukee Braves' teams, because they represent what I want so badly from my Brewers.

    However, I laugh a little bit at the notion the success of those Braves teams can NEVER be duplicated by the Brewers. I remember as a child, when the Brewers and Bucks were really good, and the Packers were bad. People told me emphatically the Packers would never be good again.

    Sports is cyclical. I firmly believe some day Milwaukee will be able to enjoy the success of those teams again.

    ReplyDelete